RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 1997 20:15:25 -0500
Last week I received my first order of Mt.Capra raw goat cheese from
Chehalis in Washington State. They sell six different flavors of which
the plain "Alpine White" is my favorite. It is described in the
brochure as an English farm style cheese, mild and smooth with a
cheddar like consistency. If you enjoy raw goat cheeses, you have not
lived until you try this one. It is so delicious, it just melts on your
tongue and is very easily digestable. The other flavors are
"Renaissance Herb" - a blend of five herbs, "Onion & Chive" - a cheddar
like cheese, "Caraway Jack" - a mild cheese, "Olympic" - a sharp feta
cheese. and "Jalapeno & Chile Pepper" - which is not too hot.

The company has been making raw goat cheese since 1928 and it
guarantees that its cheeses have not been heated to more than 100
degrees to keep the enzymes intact. They deliver anywhere in the US
overnight only - and if it is real hot weather they will pack the
cheeses with ice but that is usually not necessary as the cheeses have
been wrapped tightly in plastic already. I do not have my receipt handy
but if my memory serves me right, the price is about 5-6 dollars a
pound including s & h, minimum order 10 lbs but they will make
exceptions and do 5 lbs orders. To order call 1-800-574-1961 or
(360)748-4224.

The company also sells goat whey which is a product recommended by many
health practitioners for its high mineral content. They used to call it
"Whex" (now it is "Capra Mineral Whey") and Bernard Jensen has been
plugging it for years as a superior source of trace minerals. The whey
has been heated to 180 degrees for 2-5 seconds during a flash-drying
process which caramels it and gives it a delicious flavor.

When I talk to them again, I will find out what kind of foods their
goats eat and if they are organically grown - my understanding is that
the goats are mainly pasture fed.

Best, Peter