RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
[log in to unmask] (Perfect Paws, Inc.)
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 18:41:27 -0700 (PDT)
Hello again,
i'm sorry to keep asking such elementary questions. I've been a vegan for
just under a year and try to do at least 50% raw. I've never done
sprouts/grasses before and am totally ignorant of the process. In fact i
really didn't know abt sprouts (except the ones i buy at the grocery store)
until the SFLive event in San Francisco.
So i'm in the experimental stage until i find a book that really explains in
more detail to the novice sprouter what to do. My first attempt:
I soaked some barley in water, rinsed, tilted jar 45degree angle. Now what
are the little white squiggly things? are they the sprouts or are they
roots? Then a couple of days later, a thicker greenish thing is growing,
could this be the sprout??? I'm laughing just asking these questions because
they must seem silly to you all. If i want to grow grass, do i just leave
these things alone and they will grow up to be grass or do i need to put
them in dirt? Do i continue rinsing them in the jar or will that traumatize
these green things growing? It also seems that the little white squiggly
things might be drying up. Have i ruined them?
If i want to eat sprouts, do i eat them when the thin white squiggly things
appear or do i wait until the thicker greenish thing appears?
I guess maybe the bottom line is, what are these different developmental
stages and what do i do with them?
Thank you so much for your help and patience with me. I'm really enjoying
reading the posts here.
gail