RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stefan Joest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 14:30:45 +0000
Hi Mr/Ms. Neutrino (???),

would you mind to identify yourself (firstname suffices) just to make it
possible to speak to a person instead of an email address?

I've made potato chips. I used the best possible (instincto-quality) pota-
tos I could get (conventionally grown ones will mostly taste empty - use
at least organic stuff),
sliced them, as you already guessed and dried them below 104F (40 C). The
latter is important to save their rawness. If you use more than 104F they
will denaturate and will not be raw food anymore.
But below they remain to be instincto-quality (if you are using this style
of nutrition) if they were before.

Dry them down until they are really crispy. Experiment with different
grades of remaining humidity. Below a certain humidity you can keep them
in jars/plastic bags for months without loss by spoilage. Just try out.

For instinctive eating I wouldn't add salt. If you are doing recipes,
celtic sea salt would certainly be a good quality salt that could be
added. (Recently there were posts about this salt.)

The nearer to 104F, the more they taste like the chips from McDonalds etc.
Try out different drying temperatures. Everyone prefers his/her own
temperature.

Depending on the amount of humidity carried away by a fan on one day,
it may last 4 days to 2 weeks to dry them.

Another recipe:
Try drying tomatos, broccoli, cauliflower, bell pepper (red/green) near
104F. Tomatos, red bell pepper can taste like pizza. Broccoli, cauliflower
become crispy and can be incredible good tasting then.

Instinctively dried wishes,

Stefan