RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 1997 14:14:45 -0500 (CDT)
>Yep, I suspect we all believe we're doing the right thing, even such
>as Hitler & Janet Reno.

Whatever you might think of Janet Reno surely she does not deserve to
be mentioned in the same breath as Hitler?  Yes, I am fully aware of
the crimes that you believe she is guilty of.

Peter:
> I am a big believer in the concept of human rights and believe it is
> one of the good things to have come out of Western civilization. I
>do not believe that child labor under a certain age should be
>permitte

Bo7b:
>Peter, what does "human rights" mean if not that humans have a right
>to their lives & the products of their actions, free of others'
>initiation of force?

Since I am sure you agree nobody should feel "free" to commit murder or
dump toxic waste in Lake Tahoe, the question is deciding what sanctions
are necessary and not the abolishment of all laws & regulations. If you
agree to this you will also have to agree to pay the taxes to pay for
the agencies which can protect you and your family and try to prevent
these crimes from happening. Because some government agencies have too
much power and have been known to misuse it - the present drug laws are
a travesty of justice - does not mean that the solution is to do
without them all together. On the other hand your freedom of speech,
the right to freely congregate, to choose you own religious practice,
to choose the drugs you want enjoy, to choose your sexual preferences
and if want to have a child or not should remain your private decisions
which society should keep its nose out of.

>(I'm assuming  -- usually an error ;-) -- here you mean "permitted"
>by some agency such as government, rather than permitted by their
>parents).

Living without a government would require a lot of responsibility from
its citizens. As it stands most libertarians, constitutionalists , etc
look more than like a group of immature,rebelling teenagers trying to
come to grips with an overly strict, authoritarian background than a
body of mature adults ready to master the great discipline of
self-regulation. Without responsibility their can be no freedom.

Peter:
>>all torture and capital punishment should be abolished forever.

Bo7b:
>Even for Reno & the Clintons?

Even for all the wackos in the militia movement.;-)

Best, Peter