RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ombodhi thoren st john <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 1997 00:30:45 -0800 (PST)
aloha!
	sol,
		try ryegrass, triticalegrass, & barleygrass if you get
tired of wheatgrass.  i like growing sunflower greens on plastic trays
filled with rock dusted soil.  sometimes a little buckwheat greens.
if you define super blue green algae as a bitter green, i'd put it on
your list in place of the ????  if not, put it on your list in another
place.  for fruits, i had shivers of pleasure run through my body as i
became one with four cherimoyas (spaced into two mono-meals).  right now
i go for reverse osmosis from my friends system over distilled water in
a thin plastic bottle.  when in santa cruz i like water from "h2o4u"
which they claim has gone through a special distilling process called
"vapor compression" (more similar to how nature makes rain than regular
distilling, apparently).  50 cents a gallon, or get the same liquid
delivered to your door by "big sur water company" at the whopping price
of 5 gallons for $6.50.  you do the math.  someday i'll construct one of
those nifty solar distillers and let the sun do the work.
	hey, shouldn't you put cauliflower under the cruciferous
category?  in "mother's market" in costa mesa today i spied
"broccoflower" which looked like green cauliflower to me.  i heard
somewhere that humans had bred all the chlorophyll out of it, so maybe
this novelty produce item comes from some more-original stock?  or simply
allowed to genetically dance back to what it naturally wants (like cotton
that grows in all colors of the rainbow if not picked out by those who
want a field of white).
	another bitter of high regard among many: dandelion.  coming to
a lawn near you.  and i'd add hemp seeds to your diet if you don't shoot
for 100% raw (all legal hemp seeds in this country must undergo
sterilization, usually by steam).  for oils, the pricy but worth it
choice: hemp!  never cook that green gold, if ya gotta cook at all.
*all* sea vegetables?  hey, leave some for the rest of us! ;-)  and
i don't advise you to dump the chicken or turkey, just get it free-range,
organically-fed, and maybe try harvesting one yourself.  can't beat
fresh.  i concur with bob's sentiment on eating less overall.

> Cooked
> grains               amaranth, millet, quinoa, puffed millet cereal
> fish                 tuna, sardines, mackeral, kipper, salmon,
                      cold water fresh fish
> poultry              lean and skinless -- chicken, turkey, chicken broth

	you've ventured beyond my territory.  shelton says to cook egg
white.  i'd probably steam legume sprouts if i did the hot water mist
thing.  of course, the item that worries me most on the above list:
puffed millet cereal.  somewhere i read of a study where a couple types
of puffed cereal got fed to rats or mice.  another group received a
regular rat our mouse diet (or did they get raw veggies?  i can't
recall).  a third group ate the cardboard box the puffed grains came in.  a
fourth got white sugar (sucrose).  all groups received water.
	the raw veggie or rat-chow group lived the longest, followed by
the cardboard box eaters.  sucrose beat the puffed cereal group!  yup,
some unidentified (at least to me) property of puffed grains proves quite
lethal.  all those rice cakes from my childhood run through my mind.
never again!

> Other                digestive enzymes, probiotics, lecithin, apple cider
> -----                vinegar, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, herbal teas,
>                      kefir, dried daikon

	another kefir consumer!  i drank _two_quarts_ today!  and i feel
great!  (minus lingering dairy guilt...  i plan to visit the address
printed on the kefir box tomorrow... right here in claremont!)
	good bet on the probiotics & digestive enzymes.   my dogma
(non-fractionated foods) excludes lecithin, but if i took it i'd try it
as an ingredient in "crystal flake" spirulina.  5% lecithin, according to
the label.  i use no vinegar but apple cider, and even that, sparingly
(no longer part of my regular morning nectar).  why dried daikon?  i see it
fresh all over.  and those water chestnuts couldn't come to you raw, now
could they?  dare to dream...

suggestively,
	     bodhi