From:
Molly NíDána <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 28 May 1997 10:37:39 +0800
> Very interesting post, actually Don Wiss has some information about Irish
> and celiac disease. Seems that the Irish (and Irish Americans) have one of
> the highest levels of gluten intolerance in the world. Check out his web
> site, there is also an article by Lutz that discusses the Irish and celiac
> disease..

This is quite fascinating. (Yes, I am finally recovering from my four
days at BayCon and back reading my mail) I agree with Corbie that
this relates strongly to threads from another list we're on...could
we have the website URL, please?  I have never heard this about Irish
being celiac... in fact, I used, back in another life, to be married
to a Jewish man (central European). He and his twin brother were
severely celiac (Almost didn't live to grow up until proper diet was
discovered in 1956 - their parents were initially told to feed them
MORE gluten)  Anyway, in trying to find out more about this at the
time we married (almost killed him with homebaked bread... now that
seems like not such a bad outcome <I'm JOKING>...) I had the idea
that this was common amongst Jews in general and central Europeans in
particular, but never heard anything about my own Irish genetic line.

Please tell us more about current thinking about celiac!

Sla/n go fo/ill

Molly Ni/Da/na
San Francisco, CA