From:
Gregg M Burton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 08:48:35 -0800
Hi Lisa!!!

Thanks for your Great Reply!!!

> yes, Yes, YES!!!!!  A paleo diet is every bit as important for our
> furry friends is it is for us!!!

I think so.  I don't have all the details about the Paleo Diet since I
though it would be mostly RAF - Raw Animals Food - and yet I see a lot
of CAF - Cooked Animal Food -in all the message and some actually seem
to specifically stay away from Raw.  Please enlighten me sometime in a
future Post if you can.

> > I, myself, only eat RAF - Raw
> > Meat and Organs - and feed the same to my Cats and so we basically eat
> > together and the same
>
> The acronym for feeding Bones And Raw Foods to cats and dogs is
> *BARF*! ...

Hahaha!!! - :)!!! - That's Funny!!! - Is that a real Acronym or did you
just make it up now in this Post?

> ...      I switched my black lab to a BARF diet in January.  The
> basis for Eclipse's diet is in a book called "Give Your Dog A Bone"
> written by Ian Billinghurst, an Australian veterinarian.  This book
> is essentially a canine version of Neanderthin, and much of the
> information seems commonplace to me now.  (so why didn't I change
> Eclipse's diet sooner???)

Cool!!! - When did it come out and can I find it in the Unites States?

> Eclipse gets 1/3 cup of pulped veggies each morning, mixed with meat
> and a combination of olive, borage, cod liver, and vitamin E oils.
> (Cats would get a smaller proportion of veggies than would a dog.)
> The rest of her diet consists of raw meaty bones.  She gets chicken
> wings, backs, and necks; turkey backs and necks; pork neck bones,
> lamb shanks, beef knuckles and feet, chicken feet...a good variety
> of meaty bones.  Since I have an older dog, I am concerned about
> feeding easily digestible bones (she can't handle turkey wings or
> beef ribs yet, they upset her system).  As long as the bones are fed
> RAW, they will not splinter and cause problems.  When you cook a
> bone, it becomes brittle and can easily splinter.  Dogs' systems are
> naturally designed to digest bones, and even when my pooch inhales
> her chicken wings, no bones come out the other end.  Eclipse also
> gets organ meat for dinner once a week or mixed in with her veggies
> for a couple days.  Think of it as a natural multivitamin!

In regards to the bones that's what I heard and really wanted to know
for sure.

> Her veggies are run thru a blender or juicer (with the pulp and juice
> recombined) because a dog has a short intestinal length (shorter than
> humans) and cannot digest veggies completely, just like humans cannot
> digest grains.  In nature, a main source of vegetable matter for
> canines and felines is the stomach contents of prey animals, who do
> the breaking down of the cell walls *for* the dogs and cats.
> Pulverizing the veggies simulates nature.

Pulverizing is like Juicing with just added the Pulp back I guess then,
or I just you could just use a Blender or a Vitamix or something of that
Nature.

>>  I think if you really love your Pets and consider them Fellow
>> Beings and Members of the Family, I think that you should buy them the
>> best too just like you do for yourself.  Remember just by being here on
>> this List you're not the Average Person when it comes to your Diet so I
>> would hope you would show the same concern for your Pets' Diet as you
>> seem to show your own and, like I already said, give them the best too.
>
> I have learned much about feeding animals this way from the Wellpet
> mailing list.  Unfortunately, those folks don't seem interested in
> making the connection between their pets' diets and their own.  But
> that's okay.  I'm just out to be the healthiest person I can be, not
> convert everyone I meet.  So I can keep pet diet issues on my pet
> lists, and my own diet issues onhuman lists.

Well thanks for the info and I think it's find to talk about both
Humans, Animals, and Pets here since on this List it doesn't seem to be
and issue - Thank God!!!

>>  The one thing I haven't added to their Diet yet is ground Bone
>> Meal because I want to find what Balance is good for them and I need to
>> get something to grind the bones.
>
> Let your dog do the grinding!  Just feed raw meaty bones to your
> dog, and the balance will be automatic.  Don't feed commercially
> produced bone meal to your animals.  It is a cooked (steamed)
> product that is often made from the bones of old and/or diseased
> animals.

I didn't know my Cats could handle Beef Bones since they are a lot small
than actual Wild Cats that could probably take down a Cow - I don't
think my Cats would have much of a chance!!! - It would be funny or sad
to watch since they might get trampled on.  So I guess I'll stick with
Fowl and Fish Bones but I think Bone Meal from Beef if it's done without
Heating or Cooking would be good too and if no one does it I guess I
could get my own Grinder and do it myself - Like I have to do with other
things since I eat really Healthy Food and it's so hard to find anywhere
that I'm going to be making as much of it as I can, unless someone local
does as good of a job as I will.

Thanks again for your Great Post!!! - I really found it very Informative -
Thank You!!!

 - Take Care!!!

 - Gregg!!!