From:
Paul Wheaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 13:58:43 -0700
> Paul--I think the stuff in the bags was shredded redwood (tannin
> infested?)

Yes.  But the redwood is even worse.  You know how redwood can resist
rotting?  Well, it's because it contains natural herbicides and
fungicides.  Sure, you can make a strawberry planter with redwood and it
will last a long time, but you better make it big enough so that the roots
won't touch the wood ....

> and maybe peat moss.

Peat moss is a great way to add humus, but if your soil is already acidic,
peat moss is the wrong stuff to add.

> Don't know whether either did anything
> for the grow power, but might have helped with the hard dirt.

You may have gone the wrong way with the grow power, but you did
definitely soften the dirt.

>  I never would have thought of horizontal tomatoes for more light.  You
> have a future somewhere with your good advice.  Mary J.

Oh?  Who do you know in horticulture that is raking in the bucks?