From:
Mary Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 12:44:41 -0700
Don--I am trying to eliminate grain now but occasionally eat a tiny bit
of wheat due to the fact that I can't always grab the right thing to
eat.  I have five kids who are still eating wheat.  Half of the
NeanderThin diet is normal to me having eaten raw food diets in the
past.  I just never paid attention to how many carbs I was tanking in.

My vegetarianism started to occur when I got a wheat mill and started
grinding my own wheat.  I slowly grew away from needing much meat--I
think since wheat gluten is used as a meat substitute.  I put some stuff
on the LC list this morning, because Ray Audette had some comments on
there, and I just got his book yesterday.  I don't have any autoimmune
diseases that I know of (could have autoimmunity somewhere, but am
reasonably sound of body now).  I hardly get sick, but have had problems
with my hair falling out approaching menopause and am living a high
energy life which I think takes a bigger metabolic toll. It's just hard
thinking about eating meat again, since I've gotten so far away from it
and have gotten more sensitive to animals.  I am really interested in
this nutritional anthropology though, and think it could play a big part
in the etiology of juvenile diabetes.  Mary J.