From:
"John C. Pavao" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 1997 09:15:16 -0400
Tom,

The idea, though, is to limit sugar consumption to natural sugars.  The
problem with not avoiding it altogether is that one person's "once in
awhile" might be different than another's.  Also, some people are much more
sensitive to refined sugar than others and will "binge" if they eat any
sugar.  I'm lucky enough not to be this way.  Many of the folks on this
list came here from the lowcarb support list.  These people are interested
in weight loss and some aren't the type to eat "a little" ice cream (I know
I never was, I'd have a large soup bowl if I had any!).

I agree that attitude matters.  Perhaps some may think my attitude a little
stringent, but my attitude is that if it was making me sick or fat before,
it's gone now!

I'd like to recommend a couple of books you might want read which deal with
the subject of sugar in some detail.  I've posted all these names before,
but it's probably worth it to do it again:

Sugar Blues -- William Dufty
Lick The Sugar Habit -- Nancy Appleton
Nourishing Traditions -- Sally Fallon (only available on the internet, I
believe, check the PPNF web site)

My $0.02,
John Pavao

So, since you will inevitably consume a little sugar on this diet, then, if
one, for instance, wants bacon, and can only find it with sugar (or even
nitrites), then have a little bacon every now and then. Or ham. Or even ice
cream. Just have a little, enjoy, and then move on. Although a diet such as
Neanderthin definitely helps, our attitude matters, too, in our quest for
health. Enjoy and be happy.

I hope this helps in some small way.

Tom Stine