NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 13:32:17 -0500
>I am a mom with a newly diagnosed 13 months old with milk protein
>allergy with a less than supportive pediatricain.
>
>I could really use some support and information.
>
>Is anyone willing to share their experiences and knowledge of this
>with me?

You've got it! (Support, that is). If you're able to find a suitable
dairy-free baby formula, the rest is difficult, but tolerable. Keep reading
this list for info on avoiding dairy products.

If you have an "atopic" child (prone to immune disorders such as allergies,
asthma, eczema, etc.) your child may be allergic to other foods. Proceed
with caution: only feed the child one new food at a time over a period of
several days to make sure that there is no reaction.

Consider allergy tests for inhalant allergies and even for food allergies.
There may be some false negatives at that age, but if there are any
positive reactions, you'll know to avoid those foods or to challenge the
child with them in a safer setting (e.g., at the doctor's office).

Good luck

It's difficult, but do-able.

Mark

Father of a milk/egg/nut-allergic, highly atopic 11-yr-old.

Mark Feblowitz