NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 10:31:39 -0500
>My 3 yr old has always had a problem with Amoxicillin, Bactrim, Erithymician,
>and C-Clor.  I noticed that all these meds he's had have been PINK.  I know
>he's not allergic to red dye, but it just seems if they're pink there's hives.
>Oh, also he's allergic to milk too.
>
>I had him tested for Penicillin thinking he was allergic to it.  After,
>extensive testing he came out neg. for it.  The allergist said it may be how
>the phamacy mixes it because he's ok with the white Augmentin.

Your best bet is to go straight to the PDR and start looking at the
similarities and differences in the ingredients. This could be quite
important in the future, since any of the components can crop up in other
foods or medicines. You'll find the inactive ingredients listed separately
from the active ingredients, and there may be multiple lists of
ingredients, depending upon the strength and the delivery mechanism
(chewable tablets, liquid suspension, pill form, etc). And you'll find that
the pill form, while it's slightly more likely to contain lactose, has far
fewer flavors, colors, etc., than the other forms. If the medication is a
generic and is not listed in the PDR, the same information is delivered to
the pharmacist in a package insert. Ask for a copy of it for every
medication, and start looking for patterns.

We found that our son's deteriorating allergic condition was due in part to
the sorbitol in his antihistimine that we were using in increasing amounts
to treat his deteriorating allergic condition(!).

Mark Feblowitz