RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 14:09:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:
Liane, <[log in to unmask]>
>I was wondering if people on the ketogenic diet include raw dairy since
>it is high in fat (I think). And where can you get raw dairy anyway?

Tom:
Raw dairy is available on the general market here in California. The "Redwood
Hill" farm brand goat milk is available. Also, a wide variety of raw milk
cheeses are available in most health food stores.  There is a goat dairy in
Georgia that specializes in raw milk. I used to live in Florida, where raw
milk is illegal unless you have a Doctor's prescription! Still, we were able
to obtain it now and then, via barter with someone who worked for a dairy. (We
would trade mangos, avocados, or citrus for it.) There are ways to get raw
milk - call small, local dairies and ask if/how you can get some from them.

Side note: when you start talking about humanely produced dairy, the final
argument of the vegan is: "what happens to the unwanted male animals that are
born?". (The vegans will claim they are all sold for veal production.) I asked
this question of Redwood Hills Farm. Their answer:
1) some are kept for breeding,
2) some are sold to other dairies for breeding,
3) the remainder are sold to be kept by teenagers in "4-H" projects. Note to
readers outside the U.S.: 4-H is a program designed to educate young people
in farming and agriculture.
So, there is no "goat veal" at Redwood Hill Farms!

Re: ketogenic diet. I'm not knowledgeable in the details, but I think you are
a vegan or vegetarian. So, even if you cannot get raw dairy, you might consider
cooked dairy. That may "fit" better in vegetarianism than the alternatives.
Again, I would encourage you to do research on the ketogenic before making
any changes.

Good luck!

Regards,
Tom Billings