BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert Jaquiss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 1997 17:18:49 -0700
This message is being crossposted to several lists.  I regret any problems
caused by duplicate messages.

August 22, 1997
Robert S. Jaquiss Jr.
Project Associate
Braille Research Center
1800 Johnson Street
Baltimore, MD 21230
Phone: (503) 627-4444 (Work)
Email: [log in to unmask]

Hello:

     I am writing in order to answer some questions, and to clear
up any misunderstandings arising from my earlier request for
support for a Raised Line Graphics (RLG) printer project.

     The project that I seek support for is intended to produce an
upgrade kit which when added to a Tektronix Phaser 300 printer will
allow the Phaser 300 to produce tactile images.  A modified Phaser
300 printer should be viewed as one of several devices that can
produce tactile images.  The Tiger printer being developed by Dr.
John Gardner, Flexipaper from Reprotronics and the modified Phaser
printers will each have their place in the marketplace.  A consumer
will be able to choose the system that best meets his/her needs.

     If everything works as planned, the modified Phaser 300
printer will be able to produce tactile images with a variety of
lines and textures.  It will be possible to produce lines of
varying width, height, color and type (dotted, dashed etc.).
Larger areas on images can be filled with a variety of textures.
The Phaser 300 can print on paper in sizes up to 11 by 17 inches.
I do not know what a modified Phaser 300 printer will sell for.
Every effort will be made to make modified Phaser 300 printers as
affordable as possible.

     Some of you may have seen output from a Tektronix Phaser 600
printer.  The current RLG capability of the Phaser 600 printer was
demonstrated at the 1997 CSUN conference.  Samples of the output
from the Phaser 600 were also distributed at the 1997 convention of
the National Federation of the Blind.  An additional project is
being planned to improve the quality os the RLG images from the
Phaser 600 printer.  The Phaser 600 is a much larger machine than
the Phaser 300.  It can print on paper up to 36 inches wide and 15
feet in length.

     If anyone wishes to express their support for the project to
modify the Phaser 300 printer, letters can be sent to be via Email
or mailed to the postal address shown above.  Thank you for your
time.

                           Sincerely,

                      Robert S. Jaquiss Jr.