From:
Judith Beck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 08:51:37 +0000

Hi all, I am a gluten-intolerant former newspaper reporter who has been
following the posts on communion with great interest. The subject came
up immediately for me once it became clear what had been making me sick
for 8 years.  (I had been diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome, had
been extremely ill with a variety of very weird symptoms, but nothing
food-related was ever mentioned. I stumbled into the gluten-intolerant
self-diagnosis.)

  At any rate, my Episcopal priest was most helpful when I approached
him, and my own problem was solved. I take only the wine on Sundays, and
at weekday services, which are attended by just a few people, we use
gluten-free bread that I've baked.  But I realize that for many,
particularly, it seems, Roman Catholics, there is on-going controversy.
I have contacted both Annette Bentley and Mike Jones about writing a
story about the situation. And they both have given me their go-aheads.
The article, which I will submit to the San Jose (CA.) Mercury News,
where I was once Religion & Ethics editor, would involve telling
different people's stories...what they have faced in dealing with their
own churches, and what the outcomes have been. It would also go into
efforts to bring about change, such as those Annette is getting
underway. My hope is to not only have the story published in the Mercury
News, but on the Knight-Ridder Newswire, which offers articles to more
than 200 newspapers world-wide.  The article *might* have very extensive
circuation. I would like to speak--electronically--to as many people as
possible, both Catholic and Protestant, who've faced the communion wafer
dilemma.  (I think the article may also mention the problems faced by
recovering alcoholics with the communion wine, but I haven't worked all
that out yet. I'm still waiting to hear back from the editor I've
approached about the story.) If you have faced this situation, and would
like to be interviewed for the story, please e-mail me personally, and I
will get back to you as soon as possible.  Many thanks, Judy Neuman
Beck, Santa Cruz, CA. 408-423-7827.