From:
"Paul F. Getty" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 1997 07:04:06 -0500
>Not to scare you, but your symptoms sound like mercury toxicity, and I just
>read that dentists have a very high rate compared to the general populace of
>mercury toxicity. There are some pretty amazing websites around about
>mercury fillings, root canals, etc. You WON'T want to read them, anyone who
>has mercury amalgam fillings (like I do!)  Thank God I don't have any root
>canals!!!!

I wouldn't think that mercury is the problem since when I am on my usual
horrible diet I don't get those symptoms.  Also, I think these sites about
amalgam fillings on the internet grossly mismanage facts and findings about
the mercury in the amalgam fillings.  The American Dental Assoc.  has done
and studied many many studies on the situation and has found that the
mercury levels are so low as to not be significant in a person's health,
estimating that the amount of mercury taken in by the body to be much less
than the amount taken in if one was to eat fish once a month.
If you are thinking that naturally the ADA would support a material by
which most dentists make their money, you are wrong.  If it was found to be
truly a health hazard dentists would zoom to the top of money makers since
so many billions of restorations would need to be replaced.  And the
alternatives are more costly.  In fact, the biggest hassle most dentists
have is trying to get patients to accept either crowns or white composite
fillings instead of amalgam, because of the cost and the fact that
insurance companies won't pay for these when amalgam can be placed more
cheaply.

Your comment is a good one, though, and should be considered.  Just don't
take these mercury internet sites too seriously.