From:
Grant Magnuson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 1997 19:18:36 -0700
Gary Jackson was unable to most this message from the email
address he was able to contact me from, so here it is:

In today's Fiancial Times there is a graph of the consumption of
chocolate for European countries. There seems to be a South to North
correlation with, perhaps Finland and Netherlands, anomolies. To
speculate, there may be one of three explanations or a combination of
the three.

1. The spread of agriculture from the South to the North and the
incidence of glucose intolerance and carbohydrate addiction.

2. The need for serotinin boosts as the incidence of SAD increases
from South to North.

3. The need for increased energy intake in colder climes.

OR

(
4. Better marketing

5. Coincidence.)

Table.  Expenditure per head on chocolate ($) [Approximate]

UK        90
Ireland   88
Sweden    86
Belgium   82
Norway    81
Austria   63
Denmark   62
Switzerland 61
Germany   50
Finland   43
Netherlands 42
France    38
Greece    17
Portugal  17
Spain     10

I should check if other sweet carbs show the same trend.

Gary