RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 1997 10:56:04 -0400
> From: Dariusz ROZYCKI <[log in to unmask]>

> Isn't this strong feeling of hunger (since instinctos do eat only when
> they're hungry, possibly *very* hungry) the reason why an instincto will
> eat just about anything?  In other words, aren't they going overboard, in
> terms of how hungry they are or how long they go inbetween meals, and end
> up eating just about anything to satisfy that hunger afterwards?  I mean,
> anyone is pretty much an instincto when they haven't eaten long enough. :)

Actually, instinctos are never hungry (problem of overeating). And with the
habit of not having breakfast, there is never any discomfort in the
stomach. Myself, to be hungry, I have to skip a meal. Otherwise,
I eat because it's time to eat, and anyway I am receptive to food
(my stomach is empty and food smells/tastes good).

Instinctos don't eat "anything", they eat whatever smells and tastes good.
Using smell is difficult because it's unusual for us, but very rewarding.
A fruit generally tastes good, thanks to the sugar in it. But if in
addition it really smells good, then the pleasure in eating it can be
incredible. On the other hand, if you eat by habit, without using your
smell, you will end up being unhappy and frustrated (IMO).

> Also, since instinctive eating has everything to do with choosing the
> foods that are best for the person, what if the selection is very limited
> and there is no way of expanding it?  In fact, what if the person has
> only a few foods to choose from and the instinct craves something else?
> SAy, you only have bananas and apples around you, and you crave RAF?
> Aren't you going against the instinct when you choose the fruit?  Or do
> you not eat anything then (that'd be against your "survival" instinct I
> suppose).

You should eat a food only if it smells and tastes good. If your
choice is too limited, of course, you will have deficiencies.

> I also wonder, how do instinctos go about drinking water?  Tap water
> tastes just as good when one's thirsty.

Compare yourself tap water with distilled water and different kinds
of mineral water. They all taste different. Choose the water you
prefer. I personally avoid tap water in the US (smells like a swimming pool)
and in France (too hard).

> Lastly, on raw fish, do you wash the pieces of raw fish (if consuming raw)
> before eating?  I read somewhere that one shouldn't let the water get in
> contact with the flesh (changes taste).  But the darn thing has been
> sitting on ice in the store, and I'm sure the salesman washes it before
> he sells it and packs it anyway.  How do you deal with this issue?

I don't find necessary to wash fish. Why would you want to wash
it just before eating?

Jean-Louis