RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pat Stephens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 18:13:32 -0500
At 12:07 PM 1/21/97 -0700,  Roberto Wajsman Crespo wrote:

>>2. How can a raw frutarian person test his body to see that his diet
>>is not complete? (example: blood analysis, urine analysis, etc).

Kirt replied:

>There are all sorts of blood tests that are available--go to a clinic and
>schedule some bloodwork--and see what your stats are. If some of your
>levels fall outside the normal range so be it. And if you change your diet,
>you can get bloodwork again later to compare the results. Source: common
>sense.

May I add that I don't think it is prudent to ignore known nutritional
concepts from the established medical fields when embracing any new
nutritional approach to life, that one should read from each discipline, and
read a good deal, and keep at it with constancy and dedication. The life it
affects is your own; and tho the body is very forgiving (witness our
survival rate in spite of such dietary disasters as "the  greatest thing
since sliced bread", which perhaps at least permitted the most poor and lazy
to eat enough calories to sustain life) even this tenacious life has a final
limit.

I would advocate medical supervision or advice, at the very least,for
neophytes who have not studied biochemistry, and have merely read headlines
without intensive personal study (with careful attention to the bonafides of
the author of statements which fall out of the mainstream of current
knowledge). Deepak Chopra comes to mind: trained in ayurvedic and western
medicine both, and teaching same at Boston U, his approach is seen as
bizarre by many, yet it is well grounded and experienced. He or one like him
would be perfect to order the tests Kirt suggests, and explain, for
instance, that normal calcium values in the biochem. SMAC tests are
meaningless as to bone health. That the CBC (complete blood count) test(with
hematocrit and hemoglobin often  desperately low with beginning vegetarians)
and stucture and percentage of various blood cell constitutients,and
urinalysis tests to see if abnormal crystals are present, could save serious
but unnecessary mis-steps, even physically and monetarialy expensive
hospitalization, as has happened to two young people, children of friends of
mine.

I feel the need to warn Bob of his perhaps offhand and overstated remark :

>The high protein diet is often recommended for candida, but I feel that's
>a big mistake.  I got a tooth cavity once just from a very high protein
>diet over the period of a month.  And the Zone diet is pretty ridiculous,
>from my point of view.

>Bob Avery ([log in to unmask])

It is certain dental knowledge that dental carries do not form in one month
from any food, even molasses (!), but several months is needed for even
minute cavities to be discerned.

Please don't be put off by my caveats, I think the intent, and results of
trained and experienced dietary habits heard here are valuable. But I do
also know that great caution must be shown when advocating these concepts
(which individually may be based on voluminous study, training, and
experienced knowledge) a sentence at at time to untrained readers, who do
not have the depth of understanding to avoid problems.

I was also trained, as a lifeguard, not to dive into unknown
water---submerged rocks could really ruin your day.

>>3. What physical/mental deficiences will probably appear in a
>>frutarian person? (example: low physical development, hairless, etc)

>>4. How long a frutarian person must wait to see those physical/mental
>>deficiencies produced by his incomplete diet? (example one year,
>>ten years, etc.)

>>5. In what scientific data or personal experience are the previous
>>answers support?

The answer to those questions I should think would vary from person to
person, depending on too many factors to be certain of, including
psychological stamina, and are questions for people trained and experienced
in the treatment of such problems. They are very good questions, and answers
should be carefully looked into, including re-reading Kirt's post, a
documented quote from the work of Dr. Benesh. If you have deleted it, I will
be happy to forward a copy to you.

It is certain that we must take responsibility for our own health, and use
our minds fully to that end. There is much controversy and many conflicting
studies out there, and people mean well, but ultimately the buck stops with
you. Please take that responsibility very, very seriously, and:

Be well!

Pat