From:
Dave Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 1997 00:01:56 +0100
Hello Don

I had my first gout episode about 4 years ago. It coincided with an
increase in weight occasioned by me stopping my then usual sporting
activity. My doctor prescibed allopurinol but I was one of the unfortunates
who had the bad side effects. I was offered Ibuprofen or indomethacin as
relief. No attempt was made to discover the cause - I was exhorted to lose
weight - but warned that in doing so I would release a lot of gout causing
purines into the blood and thereby cause another attack! I decided to
switch to a low protein/fat high carb diet on the advice of the NHS (=G
Britain) dietician. Well...... I got rid of the gout save for the odd minor
twinge but lo & behold I soon began to exhibit the classic signs of type II
diabetes. After 2.5 years of that I have just stumbled across the
Neanderthin/Atkins/Low Carb paradigm which has, for me, answered questions
that most other dietary philosophies seem to embarrasingly avoid! Basically
I find that the low carb diet has in 2 weeks reduced my BG readings and BP
to normal levels!!!!!!!!! The bonus is that despite the huge intake of
animal protein & fat I have not suffered the slightest return to gouty
twinges - something  I was led to believe was a strong possibility.. There
can, for me, be no doubt that gout must take it's place alongside all of
the other auto-immune type diseases of the  late Neolithic age which are
caused directly or indirectly by the switch to a predominantly cereal diet.

I would urge you to give the low carb diet a trial. At worst you are
risking 4 to 5 days of goutiness if the switch to protein doesn't work. I
hope it works for you as it did for me.

Keep in touch

Dave