From:
Mara Riley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 1997 13:35:04 -0400
On Tue, 17 Jun 1997, Toby Martin wrote:

> It seems likely to me that both stone-age and modern hunter-gatherers
> have eaten roots/tubers as part of their diet, but I take it that
> today's paleodieters generally avoid potatoes, and I assume this
> includes yams and whatnot.

No; paleolithic people could only eat tubers that are edible RAW.  This
does not include potatoes, which are only really edible in any quantity
when cooked.  (Yes, there are some people who occasionally munch on them
raw, but I think you couldn't eat many that way; you'd get sick.  Potatoes
are members of the nightshade family.)

So, the question is, are there any tubers that are edible raw?  I can't
think of any.

Are truffles (not a tuber; I think they're a fungus) edible raw, by the
way?

> Do you guys eat any root vegetables? Which ones?
>
> Thanks,
> Toby

I eat carrots.  I believe parsnips are also a related vegetable.

Anybody ever try to eat a raw turnip?  Sounds bitter.

Corbie