From:
JoAnn Betten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 13:37:08 -0500
Susie, I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

>Hemochromatosis is the most common genetically inherited condition there is,
>affecting - to some degree - a large number of people.

i don't know a soul who has this.  but, now for anyone who may be wondering
if they do, symptoms include liver enlargement and cirrhosis, deficient
insulin production leading to diabetes, a leaden/grey or bronzed tone to the
skin due to the iron being deposited under the skin, cardiac irregularities,
abdominal pains, arthritis particularly in the first 2 fingers, impotence,
loss of libido, and testicular atropy.
it can be diagnosed by high levels of iron in the blood, and confirmed by a
liver biopsy.

JoAnn.