From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 1997 18:22:40 -0500
On Sat, 29 Nov 1997, Hans Kylberg wrote:

> At 13:29 1997-11-29 -0500, you wrote:
>
> 8<
> >It is something other
> >than the fat in red meat that is associated with colon cancer.
>
> according to an italian study meat is _not_ associated with colon cancer:
> http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9710&L=paleodiet&P=R2255

Yes, this study is encouraging, but but there's still
considerable evidence on the other side.  Perhaps we are on the
verge of learning just what the risk trigger really is.

> >It is also true that consumption of dairy products is
> >strongly correlated with heart disease and the markers for it.
>
> Probably the lactose causes CHD according to:
> http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9707&L=paleodiet&P=R2
> In studies blaming sat. fats for CHD, and where a substantial part
> of sat. fat comes from milk, the result ought to compensate for this
> and that is probably never the case.

I'm not sure, but I believe the saturated fat risk has been
reproduced in Asian studies where dairy is not used.  At least, I
have some notes here to that effect.  It's difficult to keep up
with this stuff.  Also, the lactose would not be an issue in
fermented dairy products, such as cheese and yogurt, but the fat
would still be present.  Note that Loren Cordain, the author of
the above citation, does not dispute the evidence linking CHD to
saturated fat intake.

And don't forget Karsten Andersen.

Todd Moody