Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 12:23:09 -0800
Mary wrote:

> Is it the fat that is preserving it, or the drying? Someone else on the list
> told me NOT to put it in the fridge overnight before adding fat, as it would
> add water.

I'm sure the suet properties help in large part to preserve it. Like
John says as long as everything is nice and dry within the "fat
package", the fat is keeping the meat from being exposed to whatever is
lurking in the air. As I understand it suet -> tallow = candles( that
smell bad ) so it should be a good preserver even of itself. I wouldn't
discount the added berries and sugar called for in many( traditional? )
recipes in helping to preserve it either.

I am constantly having to put my drying trays in the frig overnight. If
anything the meat is *more dry* in the morning. Any doubts can be
waylaid by just putting the meat back in the dryer( after all that's
what it's there for, yes? ). In the mean time, enzymes are slowed and
bacteria is dissuaded by the cold refrigerator( preserving )
environment.

> Now, do you think the batch is safe, where I did leave it overnight in an
> airtight container but not refrigerated??

I don't know. It depends I suppose on how dry the meat was when you
stored it, how much air was in the bag, and if you had and preservatives
like sugar or salt on it. If you put it in the bag warm then there may
be moisture on it. You might go by smell. If it smells ok, then you
might go ahead. If Ray A.( and I believe the USDA ) is correct, you
might just pop the meat in the dehydrator for 5-6 hours and that would
be an end to any bacteria.

> Also, if you fed a schizophrenia patient on this exclusively, the diagnosis
> would go away, at least until the person ate starch again!

If schizophrenia is "caused" by food reactions or feeding systemic
candida with carbohydrates, then removing these from the diet would
help. But I don't think all schizophrenia can be diagnosed as food
related.

,Micke