Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 09:17:46 -0800
Some of your questions will be answered by just trying it out. I think
Bob did a good job of explaining how to go about it. I would add to his
instructions two things. One, I prefer the pemmican as much like a
powder as possible. And two, the fat can get too hot. You want it to be
just warm. What I do is melt( the second time ) most of the fat on low.
Then I turn the heat off and add the rest( small amount ). This cools
the fat down quickly.

I think a basic rule might be, 'if you like it, then you've made it
right.' I liked it right away. I'm not( didn't used to be ) much of a
beef eater. For me it replaces meals, specifically breakfast, and
snacks. I don't know how many times I've been out and wished I had
brought pemmican along. I can't eat the nearest fruit or nuts so it's
the only thing besides jerky that I can have.

I don't think it's a good idea to leave the meat out. Refrigerate it. I
worried that the refrigerator would add moisture, but refrigerators
remove moisture not add it. The only way things get moist in there is if
they are in an airtight container. Just put the drying racks right in
the frig. Leaving the meat out before it's preserved is inviting
bacteria.

,Micke