From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 18:05:33 -0400
[log in to unmask] asked:

>     I have never eaten raw animal products and was wondering how to do so
>safely?
>
>     How to eat raw animal meat?

Any bacteria will only be on the outside of the meat (skipping pork and its
trichinosis problems). So ground beef is out as the outside is ground
throughout. Buy a thick cut of meat and then you only need to very briefly
sear the outside edges, and the insides will still be raw.

>     Should I fish myself?  How to eat the fish?
>     Better to fish inland streams or sea coast?  Georgia/Florida

Sushi and sashimi are served raw. So in this case it is more of finding a
reliable supplier of fish. The fish store down the block from me has a
takeout sushi bar in the corner that they supply. So I feel safe buying
from them and eating it raw.

Cold water fish has more of the better fish oils. So if you go fishing
yourself you won't be getting such. I reason this as my ancestors have
lived up North for several hundred thousand years and their systems have
evolved to taking advantage of the local fish.

>     How about raw organic eggs?

First I would only try this with free-range eggs. Organic often just means
they were fed organic grain. I would be leery of any eggs from a large
supermarket. The best would be from a greenmarket, where the farmer has his
own free-range chickens and the eggs were picked up the day before. I don't
know about store bought eggs, but the greenmarket eggs are not washed, so
any barn yard shit may still be on the shell. So I would wash the outside
before fooling with them raw.

On the raw-food list they discuss eating raw eggs. They tend to just eat
them. Some have blended them with dairy, but that isn't a Paleolithic food,
or blended them with fruit, but then some don't like mixing protein and
fruit. So I guess one just closes their eyes and eats them. Oh, if the
shell is washed you can eat that too.

Don.