Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 20:10:25 -0500
Karl, dear.  Much as I like kisses, think about a couple of things first.
1, The Irish (and all people under political/military stress) eat whatever
they can get their hands on. Be it potatoes or grain. The so -called
"potato famine" earned that name (if I am remembering the same time and
place as you) AFTER the time it happened.  I think it was just called "the
famine" or "the bad times" (as my grandmother used to say).  Potatoes were
available, edible to most folk and CHEAP - meaning free. I believe that
your theory of conspiracy with the, then-local government, is just that - a
theory. When there is not much to eat, you eat whatever you can, whenever
you can and the fact that the local politician promises you you'll never be
hungry again, if you'll only ignore this gun I'm pointing at you and sign
your property away on the dotted line, has not much to do with it.
What you say about governments dictating food supplies is probably quite
true.  Them that has the biggest  tells them that has none what to do and
how they will like it.  We are existing on food stamps currently and are
fortunate to be living in a state (Texas) where WE decide what to eat.  But
I remember friends in California (1970's) who were told what kind of food
they could buy and how much of each item was available to them. "The Big
Bad Boys" in anyone's government are people just like you and I who do
their jobs to Learn and Earn - learning what they didn't know before and
deciding  if they like to do their jobs that way, while earning their way.
Conspiring to lead me into developing epilepsy (through a poor choice of
diet and being born to my parents) wasn't on anyone's agenda when they took
that job.
2. And just how long were they conspiring anyway? If I remember my figures
correctly, we (those of us eating then) didn't begin an agrarian society
(planting our food) until about 10,000 years ago. That means that that
Potato Famine must have started along time after those wild potatoes were
ever made into salad.
Karl, think about it.  You can spend your time seeing things that may not
be there and hunting for someone to agree with you, or eating the diet,
feeling better than ever and helping other to feel the same way.  Then
maybe you can find someone who agrees with enough - not just in theory, but
in person - and talk to them about this kissing that has you all hot &
bothered?? Sherry