From:
Karl Mac Mc Kinnon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 May 1997 15:03:42 -0500
        O.K.  Audette doesn't go far enough, in my historical opinion, on
paleotech tools.  In addition to a rock and a spear, the cavedude is also
armed with a sharp stone knife.  The spear allows the cavedude to hunt
and kill without fangs or talons.  The knife allows that cave man to cut
his meat into thinner pieces that his relatively weak teeth would have
problems with.  Also, we can assume from recent discussion that meat was
"hung," and that this hanging (and perhaps the help of a tenderizing
stone) makes the meat more chewable to humans.
        The gut is what really closes it, though.  The gall bladder and
intestine-mass ratio shows that man is a meat eater, although as I much
on some celery hearts I would not say that he is a carnivore like a wolf
or a housecat.  But humans are in no way vegans like cows or horses.  It
is my firm belief that absent technology to make beans and grains edible
(and some supliments), the vegan would die.

Karl Alexis McKinnon|I live as the beasts in the fields, rejoicing in the
SP2                 |fleshly life. I favor the edible and curse the inedible.