NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 15:14:21 -0700
On Fri, 15 Aug 1997 13:07:57 -0700 Rita Doppenberg <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

> What do you all
>think about feeding your milk allergic infant a hypoallergenic Infant
>formula such as "Enfalac Nutramigen".

I talked to my allergist before I delivered and he was very interested in
what I was going to feed the baby.  Of course he recommended
breastfeeding and the avoidance of dairy, peanuts, eggs, and seafood.
His recommendation of a formula for supplementing was Nutramigen.  He
said it was the most hypoallergenic one out there and was the best to use
if I was just going to supplement with it.  Since Nutramigen is
expensive, he recommended Carnation Good Start as a formula if I was
going to formula feed.  It's made from whey which is processed into
smaller pieces.  He recommeded against soy formulas in general because
they are not more hypoallergenic than the milk based ones as far as lower
incidence of food allergies.  If the baby showed signs of problems with a
milk formula, then try the soy.  Of course all this information was based
on our family histories of allergies, but no food allergies.

More concrete evidence, I don't have,
Kathy