NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kimberly Sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 17:52:05 -0400

<< The only way for a child to be allergic to its mothers breast milk from
 what I have learned is that the mother has to be ingesting milk protein.
 YOu must eliminate it totally from your diet and then your child will
 have no more problems with your milk.

 Comments??

 Hazel

It could also be other foods that the baby is reacting to.  It is absolutely
impossible for a baby to be allergic to human milk.  If a breastfed baby is
showing allergic reactions to his mother's milk, then he is reacting to
something in her diet.  Dairy is the most common, but a very sensitive baby
will also react to wheat, corn,oats, soy, and the list goes on and on.  This
is rare, luckily, but when it does happen the results are often striking when
the mom goes on a strict elimination diet.  Dairy is definetely not the only
protein that can pass through the milk.
From what I have read, if the woman herself was breastfed as a baby, then her
gut will not be "leaky" and let these proteins into her milk.  In this case,
it is less likely for her baby to react to her diet.  But if she was not
breastfed then her gut will be more permeable and let the stray proteins in.
 Hence, a baby that seems "allergic" to her milk.
Kim