NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 21:42:25 -0700
On Wed, 13 Aug 1997 19:03:55 -0400 Hazel Green <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Lactose intollerance affects the stomach and bowel and milk allergy
>affects your breathing and causes rash and hives.

I don't believe this is completely accurate.  Food allergies can also
cause problems with the gut including diarrhea and vomiting.

Lactose intolerance is the inability to digest the milk sugar lactose due
to a deficiency of the necessary enzyme lactase.  It causes digestive
problems including gas, bloating, nausea, etc.  It can usually be
overcome by adding a lactase supplement.

Milk allergy is an immune system reaction to one or more of the proteins
in milk.  Reactions range from mild to life threatening.  It can cause a
wide range of problems including digestive distress, vomiting, diarrhea,
rashes, eczema, coughing, runny nose, sleeplessness, asthma, and even
anaphalaxis.  There is no way to prevent a reaction except strict
avoidance.  Severe and life threatening reactions can be countered with
epinephrine, but in general there is no treatment for milder reactions.

Kathy