NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Wentz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 00:25:11 -0600
Diane McMonagle wrote:

> Immediate problem is this: Last night she got into some M & M's.  I
> wouldn't even have know about it if I hadn't seen some of the chocolate
> smeared on her dress.  At first she denied it, but finally confessed.  She
> said that she forgot what chocolate tasted like, and just wanted  to try
> it.

I have two dairy allergic kids who understand very well.  Special
efforts are made to make sure they have stuff very similar to what the
other kids are talking about.  Chocolate is an easy one!

Hot Cocoa - "Hershey's" cocoa has a great recipe on the side of the box,
        just use Rice Dream or DariFree instead

Brownies - "Bakers" unsweetened baking chocolate squares (orange box)
marked pareve has a great recipe for one bowl brownies inside the box.
Just be sure to use "Fleishman's" pareve margarine in the recipe.

Pudding - Mori Nu now makes a chocolate pudding mix (as well as lemon
and cappucino?) for their firm tofu.  The package is called "Mori Nu
Mates" and can be found at a health food store or co-op.  If you can't
find it, let me know I've been making it for years from scratch.

Ice Cream - many companies have good substitutes.  Look for Mocha Mix,
Tofutti and Sweet Nothings.

Cookies - our family favorite are the flavors of "Manischewitz"
macaroons.  They are really popular at Passover so we buy about
4 dozen then and hoard them the rest of the year.  They are great for
lunch bags and snacks while out because they look so normal.  Ask your
grocier about getting them in for you.  I travel several hours to a
kosher grocery to get mine.  My favorite flavor is Rocky Road, David
likes Cookies and Cream and they have a great Chocolate and Cherry one
too!

Candy Bars - "Hersheys Special Dark" is all I have found :-(.  The
"Tropical Source" bars are NOT dairy free despite their claims
otherwise (they have casein and lactose due to equipment used).

If I haven't given enough information about any of the above please ask
for more, or if the recipes that are on my boxes aren't on your please
ask.  I don't mean to skimp on info, just on time and space!

>  How do I explain to a 6 year old what "dead"
> is?  She just doesn't realize the seriousness of the situation.

We keep praying mantises as pets.  My boys have seen many of them hatch
and many of them die.  They have seen them eat (crickets and flies) and
get eaten.  They understand the cycle of life.  May I suggest you get a
little, short lived pet?  Goldfish, insects, hermit crabs, etc. can
teach great lessons.  My effort is always in me not pounding home point
after point about why certain animals can't eat certain foods...  :-D

> She has her substitute
> foods, but it seems that she would rather get sick on the regular foods.

Regular foods are for regular people, she isn't regular, she is very
special.  Give her a big hug (or 7) a day and repeat those words to her.
 Just make sure you do it when no one else is around!  Her self esteem
is taking a beating right now, she needs lots of love and understanding
from you, not criticisim.  She is getting criticisim from everyone all
day, you are her solace.

Best of luck to your chocolate fan!  I don't blame her!

P.S. If it were my kid, I'd be screaming obscenities into the wind...go
for it - its cheaper than therapy!
--
Kathy Wentz                   Mom of David (7) and Patrick (4.75)