NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 1997 21:26:36 -0700
On Thu, 28 Aug 1997 17:02:04 -0400 Robyn Kozierok <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>I am looking for some simple (few ingredients) recipes for dips with
>a silken tofu base.  I am looking for a sweet dip for fruits, etc. and
>a garlicky dip for other things.  These are for my 14-month-old with
>multiple allergies (so few ingredients are best) and who needs to gain
>weight (so high-protein, high-fat is good).  He is getting bored with
>his limited selection of foods (which is increasing, but slowly) so I
>hope some dips can help re-spark his enthusiasm.

I agree with Don that Hummus is a good choice.  It's high in protein and
fiber from the garbanzos.  I have a slightly different recipe that does
not use lemon juice as I know citrus can be a big allergen.  I often cut
this recipe in half and it still works well.

Hummus

2 cans (15 1/2 oz size) garbanzo beans - drain only one can
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbsp white wine vinegar (I usually use red wine vinegar)
1/4 cup peeled and coarsely chopped yellow onion
2 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped (I use lots more)
pinch of cayenne
1/2 cup tahini
salt to taste

Put everything in food processor and process until smooth.  Works well
with pita, olives, cucumber slices, tomato wedges, or crackers.

Something else you might try is Tzatziki made with dairless yoghurt.  I
have some plain White Wave in the fridge I bought to try this, but
haven't made it yet.  I normally drain the whey off of the yoghurt to
make it nice and thick, but I don't know if it will work with the soy
stuff.  I'm having some milk allergic folks over for dinner this weekend
and thought I'd try it out on them.  It's another nursing mom avoiding
dairy and their 6 year old is milk allergic.  Hope I can get some good
tips from them :-)

Tzatziki

4 cups plain yoghurt
1 medium cucumber, peeled and coarsely grated (I don't peel mine since
the peel contains an enzyme that cuts down on the "burp" factor of cukes)
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp dried dillweed
salt and black pepper to taste

Drain yoghurt in a colander lined with cheesecloth (or use a paper towel)
for several hours.  I usually put the cucumber on top of this and allow
that to drain also.  Mix everything together once most of the liquid has
drained.  Drizzle with additional olive oil for garnish if desired.
Great with bread or veggies.

Hope one of these might work for you,
Kathy