NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 1997 15:10:12 -0700
I have written about this before but would like to respond again to the mom
who is considering not nursing her next child because of allergies.  I nursed
my son for about 18 months, and despite bad sleeping, gas, etc. never realized
he was 'allergic' to anything until he started to eat at 6-7 months.  I never
ate dairy myself (having allergy myself) which must have cut back on his
symptoms (until he started to eat solids).

The reason I point out his case is that by 15 months, he was diagnosed with
severe allergies to not only milk but also soy (me too), wheat and all other
grains, nuts and seeds, peanuts and legumes, and milder allergies to corn,
rice, etc.  He can eat meat and most fruits/vegs.  We don't know how early
these started but I do know that if I had NOT nursed, he would have been
completely unable to take any of the formulas I have seen, from soy to
dairy to nutramigen, etc, not to mention baby cereals and a lot more.  Since
I stopped nursing (pregnant with second), he has had a hard time getting enough
fats, calories, etc.

So, you are running a HUGE risk by choosing not to nurse (I won't even talk
about the chemicals).  You are assuming the baby will ONLY have milk or dairy
allergy-- what if s/he had multiple allergies and you could not FIND a good
formula or whatever?  I also think the increased immunity was very important
.

I would urge you to rethink it.
Susan.