NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 15:31:33 -0700
On Wed, 27 Aug 1997 23:41:28 -0600 Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>At 04:13 PM 8/27/97 -0700, Daniel A. Twogood, D.C. wrote:
>>Jaye Reed-Hare wrote:
>>>(snip)
>>> Do you think that
>>> the change in hormonal level could be the cause or a contributing
factor to
>>> my intolerance to dairy?
>>
>>Yep. The hormonal changes of puberty and menopause can also cause
>>sensitivities to develop. Many women have cravings around that special
>>time of month, usually for reactive substances like chocolate. I've
>>treated women who react to dairy and/or chocolate only at that time.
>
>During some of these times of hormona flux, there is increased
intestinal
>permeability. Post partum, early in pregnancy, and a couple of
>premenopausal days are associated with increased permeability. This
allows
>partly digested food partices into the blood. They can be psychoactive
>peptides from gluten and casein, or other proteins that cause other
immune
really
>a function of our relatively new practices of consuming the milk of
another
>species, and as adults, as well as consuming cereal grains on a daily
basis,
>are causing the mood swings.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but I found this is really interesting.
 I get really bad migraine headaches, but I've never been able to
pinpoint any consistant food triggers.  The headaches are much worse
around hormonal swings.  I've read that 80% of migraines come through the
mouth (something ingested).  I wonder if this is a large factor??  Maybe
it's the gut permeability rather than the hormones themselves that make
the difference??  I know several women who say that certain foods are
trigger, but only at certain times.

Kathy