RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 09:29:19 -0700
>> much more tasty, and after several hours, veggies/salads might
>taste even betterDo you use any dressings on your salad?  What are
>your favorites, if so.

If my salad has avo in it, probably not. When I'm feeling rambuncious and
devil-may-care, I might use a bit of extra virgin olive oil (but don't tell
anybody, OK? ;). Raw egg yolk can make a fine dressing--you'd be surprised,
it's not very "eggy". And you'd be amazed how far a single tablespoon of s
l i c k cod liver oil (Dale Alexander's) will go in a salad (a nice
combination with dulse--better than avo, I think) but I'm not convinced
that CLO isn't from farmed fishies...

Back in our Fit for Life stage I made all sorts of raw dressings, mostly
based on blended stuff to which an avo is added.. Simply blend cukes,
tomatos, and avo for a nice sludgey dressing. Add spinach and romaine to
the blender and you've got one of Stanly Bass' blended salads going. Pour
that sludge in a bowl over diced red peppers and celery and mushrooms (or
even over some iceburg for its crunch!) and you've an interesting meal.
(try it all unspiced--ie, w/o onions, lemon, etc.--or you may never learn
to appreciate the flavors)

Carrot juice can thin down a too-sludgy blended dressing, and simply poured
over a raw salad works as a dressing. Sure it all goes to the bottom of the
bowl, but you can just dig down with your spoon to include some juice in a
particular spoonful.

Harvey D in FFL mentioned grapefruit juice as a dressing and I remember
being delighted with it a couple times.

"Raw" tahini (or any other "raw" nut butter) can be whipped up with water
and a fork to the consistancy of mayonnaise and used as a dressing.

The ultimate is the "almondaise" recipe in Fit For Life, though it needs
added oil (which is hard to find "unprocessed"). I seem to remember that
Marilyn Diamond's "A New Way of Eating" has some dressing ideas (hell,
maybe many of the above were ideas I originally saw there!)

I think one of the "secrets" to a good salad is to eat half of it while
you're preparing it--tasting the ingredients--and if something is tasting
particularly good, use more of it; if something is not great, then leave it
out. Over the holidays Melisa's mother was struck that Melisa "wouldn't
even make Kirt's salad" (I guess she considers it part of the female's role
in food prep, eh?). It was hard to explain that we couldn't really make
each other's salad because we could never know what ingredients are tasting
good in each other's mouth...

It really makes a difference doing it that way instead of piling stuff in
the bowl just because.

(Raw Gossip: Anybody notice that Marilyn's new book (Fitronics?) has a
picture of her new hubby on the cover?)

>> ROTFL.
>Dang!  An acronym I can't figure out!       ????

It supposedly has very old roots in the e-world though I've never much seen
it lately: Rolling On The Floor Laughing (and it's little sister: LOL,
Laughing Out Loud)

>> the air quality in the cabin plunges! Instantly you suffocate in
>everyone's  peanut breath.

>Not to mention my co-worker's microwave popcorn!

That's for crowded movie theatres as well!

>> ... if you can't find a raw food that is tasty, your body may
>> want a rest from food (a fast)--which might be likely during a cold as
>> well...all much easier said than done, of course!

>You got that right!  Especially with two energetic little varmints to look
>after.

I'm jealous! :) Goose em once each for me!

>> You're not whining! Keep us posted.

>OK, you asked for it:
>Doing much better now.  I think part of my depression Sunday was in
>being cooped up in the house while it was cold & raining outside.  It
>actually felt good to get back to work!  And that's saying something!
>Also, my cold is gone now.

It'll return someday... ;)

BTW, was it you who tried to start a thread about gardening? Our "winter
garden" is rearing its head, but the only tasty thing so far is a beet
variety (called Greenleaf) which is grown more for its tops than its tuber.
Its really good! A fast grower and perfect for picking off the outer leaves
while it continues growing. I just planted another half bed of them. Tis a
keeper!

Cheers,
Kirt