From:
Chris Pearson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 12:45:17 PST

2/14/98, I wrote:

"My  Doctor was of the opinion that as I had been diagnosed late
in life mid 40s, I fell into a lower group of Coeliacs and perhaps
not so susceptable to the affects of Gluten and shouldn't worry.
I reminded him that as a result of late diagnosis I have had
some unrepairable damage to my digestive system. This is a Doctor
that I have little faith in now!!!!!! unless someone can point
out to me that there are coeliac condition levels."

I received 14 responses from :

Sue <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask],
"Bill S." <[log in to unmask]>, Bob/Sue Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Harold Wolofsky <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask],
Debora Moes <[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask], [log in to unmask] [log in to unmask],
Deirdre <[log in to unmask]>, Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
"Bill Elkus"<[log in to unmask]>, Mark Patton <[log in to unmask]>

but not in the same order as sumarised below:

One respondent advised that the new GP is correct on the count of
being less susceptable prediagnosis but possibly not aware that
serological abnormalities in celiacs stay for life regardless
of how GF you are, indicating there is still something the immune
system is having to respond to.

Another advised there is little difference between celiac disease
diagnosed in childhood and that diagnosed in adulthood, but cited
the situation of patients originally diagnosed whose spontaneous
remission in childhood was accepted as a possible success but at
about 40 years later their gluten-induced damage began to show.
This respondent also referred me to the few studies in the
literature on adult diagnosis in celiac disease and associated
conditions (such as such as thyroiditis, diabetes mellitus,
other possibly linked autoimmune diseases and neuropathic
presentations). Fortunately, that risk diminishes following
strict compliance with the gluten-free diet.

Others urged me print off CELIAC FAQ literature located at
http://rdz.stjohns.edu/library/medic/celiac/index.html
and tactfully issue to my Doctor for background information
which I will do.

There was also much sympathy and advice to find another GP.

One comment I think relevant is a later diagnosis ALWAYS means
irreperable damage. It could happen that CD did develop late
in life, rather than being lifelong and just discovered later on.

As a follow up from one of the respondents, I had always been under
weight and suffered from stomach pains frequently. The Doctors though
I just had an acid problem or a nervous stomach. As a young boy/man
I took with the Doctors knowledge many antacid medications that
could be easily purchased over the counter.

In my 40s I was firstly treated for ulcers and as Tagamet had no
affect was then referred to a Gastroenterologist. This is a tale not
different to most Coeliacs I suppose. I have now put on weigth and
am fitter for the diet. I am fortunate not to be debilitated by the
years of maltreatment!

Thank you for the responses and I hope the above is a fair view of
your kind replies.

Regards,
Chris Pearson
Sydney, Australia.