Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 14:54:44 EDT

I received several responses to some of my questions and since several
wanted to know what responses I got, I decided to post to the entire list.

> I didn't quite follow the whole conversation concerning Nature
> Path's Honey'd Corn Flakes.  Is the natural vanilla GF or not?  If
> not, how can the company advertise them as being GF?  My 4 year
> old son loves these and will be upset to find out that he cannot have
> them anymore. Does anyone know of a substitute corn flake cereal?
> As it is now, breakfast is the hardest meal of the day and to take
> away his one favorite would make it even more difficult.  His
> choices for cold cereal now are Barbara's Brown Rice Crisps and
> Nature Path's Honey'd Corn Flakes.  Any other good suggestions?

I recieved alot of responses here (don't know for sure if these are
all GF based on previous posts) ---
  Jo-Krisps from Jowar Foods (806)798-7993
  Rice Twice
  Erewhon Aztec Corn & Amarath
  Malt-o-Meal Corn Bursts  (I read the package and it contains annato)
  Cocoa and Fruity Pebbles (I believe this has been questioned before--
    It certainly would be wonderful if these were GF for kids).
  U.S. Mills Poppets
  Breadshop Crispy Rice and Corn Flakes
  Barbara's Corn Flakes
  Quaker has some -- check ingredients

         *******

> I am not sure about what Mozzarella cheeses are GF.  Those listed in
> the Tri-County Guide are not found in the stores I have looked. Is
> it better to buy the chuck and grate it myself?  (Is the noncaking
> agents they add where the gluten is introduced or is it something
> else?)  If I buy the chuck of cheese, what kinds are GF -- Maggio,
> Sorrento, Sargento, Healthy Choice, Giant Brand?

Only responses here indicated that people buy the chunk cheese and
grate themselves.

         *******

> What is the difference between vanilla and vanillan? I had
> originally thought that vanillan is GF but now I am not sure anymore.

No responses on this one.

         *******

> What about painkillers -- I heard that children's Tylenol is NOT gf
> but children's Motrin is gf.  Recently I was talking to another mom
> of a CD child and she indicated that Motrin is also NOT gf. What
> children's painkiller is GF?

Several responses indicated that children's liquid Tylenol is NOT GF
but Motrin is GF.

         *******

> Finally, my son has CD and not DH.  Is it important that I be
> concerned about what I use on his skin -- ie. detergents, soaps,
> shampoos, suntan lotions and what his skin touches -- ie. playdough,
> poster paints, those temporary tatoos, markers etc?  I understand
> the problem with chapsticks and toothpaste but do I need to watch
> the other things too?

Only a few responded here (none concerning the temporary tatoos --
several asked to let them know about this)
o use GF shampoos since they are absorbed into the skin (Tom's of Maine)
o wash children's hands very well, paying close attention to the
  fingernails after playing with any art supplies
o make your own playdough using rice flour

Michele Kratzmeier     (301) 640-3079         861/4B40