From:
Jeanne Prine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 14:19:10 EST5EDT

Ron Hoggan wrote,"Have you tried eliminating dairy?  Volta et al.
have demonstrated that 36% to 48% of celiacs tested were also intolerant
to milk protein." He also cited several other references.  Ron,
thanks for this extremely valuable information.  This is the first
time I've seen references to actual studies associating casein
intolerance with celiac disease.  I've known for 2 years that I have
this problem (and have the blood test to prove it), but I've
continued to wonder if the casein problem was just an anomaly--or
whether it meant I'm not "truly" celiac in the classic sense.

When I mentioned the problem with milk protein on the list, I was
immediately steered in the direction of "lactose intolerance"--even
by the professionals.  So I want to stress that casein intolerance is
very real and bears no relationship to lactose intolerance--except
that both occur in celiacs.  Also, as far as I know, the only way to
deal effectively with casein intolerance is to avoid ingesting the
protein.  I have a celiac friend who also has casein intolerance (IgG
antibodies according to the blood test)--and who had a very serious
reaction after being in a room where an aerosol can of whipped cream
was being used--so we're both very careful to avoid milk in all its
forms.  The NO-MILK list (also on the MAELSTROM server) is very
helpful to anyone with this problem.

Thanks!
Jeanne Prine <[log in to unmask]>
Athens, Georgia