From:
goalieootttaA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 08:43:44 -0700

Hi all,

Is pectin that is used to make homemade jam GF? I am experimenting with
jam made at home but the pectin bottle doesn't say anything about whether
it is GF.

I am also wondering what people think about the lists that dieticians are
given to give us about the GF diet.  The one I got in late 95 seems very
general after reading this list for over a year and leaves room for
accidentally eating gluten.  An example is that I have heard (this could
be wrong-please let me know if it is) that some soft drinks have colour
additives that are not GF (another of my questions about labelling which I
know is a big issue:most ingredients to do with flavouring are listed as
'flavour' or 'colour', I avoid these altogether, but I would like to know
what they are!).  My diet sheet says soft drinks are fine except for root
beer (made from grains).  Mine also says viegar is OK and I have seen some
discussion about white vinegar here.

I know they can't hand out books but maybe folks have some ideas about
what could be done to spruce the sheets up a bit.  For one, I would like
to see a notation about this list-I only found it by accident-added to the
sheets.

This group is immensely helpful in keeping me up to date on GF foods and I
don't even bother with the diet sheets anymore.  BTW, I have finished
collecting my resteraunt 'how to' posts and will send in the summary.
Thanks to everyone who responded.  Perhaps the responses to the diet sheet
could be posted to the group for discussion.  I am thinking of people who
are newly diagnosed and either do not have Net access or haven't heard of
this group-how can we help them with the sheets they are given.

Thanks,
Lissy