From:
"Elizabeth B. Frierson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 1997 20:44:11 -0400

This is a straight adaptation from the Moosewood cookbook, I found it
useful after buying too many poppyseeds for hamantaschen:

Preheat oven to 350 and grease two medium-size loaf pans.

1 c. milk (or milk substitute)
3/4 c. poppy seeds

Heat poppy seeds and milk/milk sub. to just below boiling.  Remove
from heat and allow to cool.

1 c. (2 sticks) butter/unsalted margarine
1-1/3 c. light brown sugar

Mix butter/marg with brown sugar until light and fluffy.

3 eggs/egg substitute
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. lemon extract or 1 tsp. grated lemon rind

Add eggs, vanilla and lemon and mix well.

2 c. gf flour
1 tsp. guar gum (optional)
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

If mixing by hand, add flour mixture and poppyseed/milk mixture
alternately.  If using a food processor (8-10 c. capacity), dump in the
flour and poppyseed/milk mixtures and process to an even mixture.
My food processor didn't smash the poppyseeds, but this is perhaps
something to be cautious about.

Spoon into loaf pans and bake 40-50 minutes.

Makes a lovely, brown, pound-cake texture loaf.  Excellent on its own,
with lemon sauce, sorbet, ice cream or whipped cream.  Let me know if
you think of any other add-ons, and enjoy!

Elizabeth Frierson  [log in to unmask]
Visiting Scholar, Dept. of History
Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853