RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dean Esmay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 1997 22:31:46 -0400
>How did the hunter/gatherers eat their meat, and how do you eat it?
>I don't think you can compare what they ate to what is available today,
>and how most people go about preparing and eating today's meat.

Hunter/gatherers typically eat meat raw, roast it over an open fire, boil
it (such as suspended by a string inside the animal's stomach), smoke it
(via similar means), or let it rot and eat it when it's high and gamy.
usually eat it raw or fry it.  Frying is about the only way
hunter/gatherers don't often cook their meat, but I'm not that worried
about it personally.

As for comparing what hunter/gatherers ate to what is available today: it's
true that I have difficulty finding Wooly Mammoth steaks, but since that
was good, rich, fatty meat I enjoy eating similarly good, rich, fatty meats
today.  Certainly the composition is not identical, but then the fat and
protein content of salmon isn't quite the same as that of catfish, or
buffalo quite the same as that of gazelle.  I suspect we evolved to handle
a certain reasonable amount of variation and not to require very specific
compositions. (Then again, I do use flax oil as a supplement, to hedge my
bets since I don't typically eat brains or suck bone marrow, which
hunter/gatherers do.)

My cholesterol is excellent, my blood pressure perfect, my heart rate
normal, and I feel better than I ever have in my life, even better than
when I was a teenager.  Chronic depression alleviated, heart palpitations
gone, poor cholesterol improved, energy excellent, sleep patterns improved,
weight slowly but surely coming down... And I enjoy the hell out of what I
eat.  On the whole, then, I'd say I've found a great diet for me that, as a
bonus, happens to work on logical scientific principles.  If you've got
something that works better for you, though, enjoy.  :-)

"Rest not! Life is sweeping by; go and dare before you die. Something
  mighty and sublime, leave behind to conquer time."  Goethe (1749-1832)