From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jul 1997 21:04:35 -0600
Hi Muriel,
Many gastros & pathologists still insist upon seeing flat villi prior to
diagnosing celiac disease, in spite of many, many reports in the literature
that with just a small increase of gluten in the diet, and/or more time,
this will develop into a condition with patches of flat villi.

The sadness is the rate of cancer, especially lymphoma, in untreated celiac
disease. Even in first degree relatives of celiac patients, the rates of
these malignancies are apalling, and my guess is that it is because too
many gastros don't recommend testing first degree relatives.

I hope you get relief from your autoimmune disease when you are off gluten.

Best wishes,
Ron