From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 23:41:05 -0600
Sun, 20 Jul 1997 12:47:42 -0500, Ward Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>>1. One study of the Eskimos has showed them to have high rates of
osteoporosis. [See Mazess RB, Mather W (1974) "Bone mineral content of
North Alaskan Eskimos." American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 27,
no. 9 (Sept. 1974), pp. 916-925.] This is a study I have looked at myself,
and although it has been awhile since I've seen it, I believe this study
>>was of Eskimos prior to acculturation, eating their traditional diet.

But this incidence is long after the Inuit had adopted the Western diet,
rich in sugar and laden with cereal grain. I spent some time in the Arctic
in the early to mid sixties, on reservations. It sometimes appeared that
the staple of their diet was Kraft Dinner. I'm not joking here. They were
buying it by the case. And the kids seemed to consume tremendous amounts of
sugar.

>>2. Lee Hitchcox, in his book Long Life Now, points out that Eskimos also
"bruise easily, are slow to form blood clots, develop fatal nosebleeds, and
have no heart disease.... The Eskimos have one of the world's highest rates
of hemorrhagic stroke, osteoporosis ["starting at age 40," he mentions
elsewhere in the book p.189)], obesity, and one of the shortest life spans.
They apparently die from other diseases before cancer or heart disease have
a chance to develop." (p.93) However, in info from a 1993 study (which may
not apply to the earlier studies of Eskimos living in purer environments)
Hitchcox also states that "the fat tissues of Inuit mothers contain the
highest known levels of organochlorine pesticides" (without, unfortunately,
giving any help as to how that fact might confound any interpretations of
the dietary evidence). Lee gives as references the one above, as well as
two additional ones: [Ho K (1972) "Alaska Arctic Eskimos: responses to a
customary high-fat diet," American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol.25,
p.737.; and secondly, Dewailly E (1993) "Inuit exposure to organochlorines
through the aquatic food chain in Arctic Quebec," Environmental Health
Perspectives, vol.101, p.618] I haven't looked at these two studies myself,
but thought I would post the references. I believe I have another reference
or two from Hitchcox about health problems in the Eskimo I would be happy
>>to share but can't currently locate them,

But anything that examines the Inuit populations after about 1920 in more
accessible regions, and after 1935 in the more remote regions, only
reflects how poorly the Inuit is adapting to the European cereals, and
other Western eating habits.

My father worked and traveled through the Artic, just after World War II,
in aircraft with fabric covered  wings. He talked of the Inuit love of
flour products. Anything, it seemed, made with flour was a big hit. And
sugar was a big hit with them. They knew all about it. My dad traded some
flour, some whiskey, and some sugar for the pelts of several arctic foxes.
I won't try to defend his actions. I'm just telling you what I remember as
a kid.

I would bet that the Inuit of Alaska were acquainted with European
traditions and eating habits by 1900. They were far more accessible, and
the gold rushes would force contact.

I agree that the Inuit and Native populations warrant serious study. But
that examination has to be grounded in a historical understanding that
separates the sequelae  of Euorpean eating habits from the results of a
traditional diet.

I hope this doesn't sound harsh. It is late.

I hold both your writing, and your open-mindedness in high regard, Ward. I
just wanted to point out what I view as a fatal flaw in this work,
especially in Hitchcox and Ho.

Best Wishes,
Ron