RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ed Kuchmy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 10:24:26 -0400
Dariusz ROZYCKI wrote:

> I often find myself waking up in the middle of the night (usually in bed
> by 10pm, so that'd be around 2am or so) - often it's just to go to the washroom - but I also have a very urgent need to snack on something.  Bananas
> are on the very top of my list (in fact, it's 3am now, and I just finished
> one; I'm contemplating whether I should get a second one right now).

> How bad might it be to snack on somehting like fruit at this time?
> Is there anything I can do to prevent these cravings?  Eat something
> a little more filling than a banana?  I wonder if the problem
> would not exist if I didn't need to go to the bathroom.
> I usually have a few fruits (apple and peach) just before I fall asleep
> (around 10pm) - is this the reason for my washroom trips during the night?
> Any of you have a similar problem? Thanks.

I don't think it is good to eat before going to bed. I heard that if you
do, you don't sleep as well because your body is using energy to digest
your food. If you eat at night it makes you hungry in the middle of the
night. Similarly, if you don't eat breakfast you aren't nearly as hungry
at lunch time since you didn't stretch your stomach. Also, fruit is easy
for you to digest so that would account for the washroom trips. I'm no
expert, these are just things that I have heard.

Liane