From:
Ward Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 1997 09:04:41 -0500
Just a few more observations here from my past 4-year stint as publisher of
a many-to-many newsletter for raw-food vegetarians: Although of course
these individuals weren't eating animal flesh, and could have been having
nutritional problems just from that perspective, we did see quite a few
individuals get into serious trouble from eating too much fruit (i.e., when
it comprised, 50% or more of the diet, sometimes perhaps just 30%-40% of
the diet). Some of these individuals eventually got into serious long-term
blood sugar troubles, or severely eroded their teeth, especially if they
ate quite a bit if citrus, or had other problems I can't now remember.

Over and over again, we had people believing that it was impossible to
overeat of any kind of "natural" food because there would be natural "stop"
mechanisms of one sort or another, and finding out otherwise through bitter
experience. The people including some alternative health-care practitioners
(natural hygiene doctors) who had looked into this the most often came to
the conclusion that fruit should be kept to no more than 25% of the diet
(being generous) but more prudently perhaps 15% of the diet or less for
people with sensitive blood sugar.

--Ward Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>