From:
Paul Wheaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 09:06:36 -0700
> What do you do for rockhard soil with a layer of clay a couple of feet
> down and no topsoil??!!  (Maybe buy some soil for a raised bed?)  Mary
> J.

Raised beds are the best no matter what.  At least, that's what I do.

"rockhard soil" and clay can be worked with.  "No topsoil" is another
issue.  Gimmee a better description of what it's like and I'll tell you
the game plan.

One thing is for sure:  start a compost pile.  There is nothing in the
world that is as good for your garden as home made compost.  The home made
stuff is 100 times better than anything you can buy.

While I have not taken the time to compose any tips on gardening, I do
have a web page on organic lawn care.  This will give you a lot of info
that you can apply to the garden.  See www.split.com/lawn