From:
Toby Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jul 1997 01:37:36 -0700
Don Wiss wrote:
> > It offers many things
> >NeanderThin doesn't. No, it doesn't prove that fibre is an
> >essential part of the diet, but is has something to say about
> >the importance of fibre in a paleolithic diet.
>
> My understanding from people that have read it is the authors tempered
> their recommendations to fit in with the popularity of carbs when they
> wrote the book. I do remember there was a period in the 80's when there was
> a big push for fiber, and an emphasis on whole wheat bread to get it.
> Possibly this also influenced them on the subject of fiber.

The big disappointment of the book is that while the first half makes
an excellent examination of the micro- and macronutrient content of the
hunter-gatherer diet, in the second half they provide dietary guidelines
on how to eat like a caveman in the modern world. Here, they suddenly
become very conservative, and say that milk and grains are OK, because
they provide calcium and fibre, which are plentiful in the stone are
diet.

So yes, I certainly think that their RECOMMENDATION was influenced
by what was happening in the 80s, I don't think that their analysis
of the stone age diet was necessarily affected in this way.

Toby