From:
Dean Esmay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 22:52:31 -0400
>        Now on this list I feel the same way.  Vegetarians who are healthy are
>dismissed as genetic variants.  Eskimos are talked about as the perfect
>example of an animal in exquisite harmony with nature.  It's confusing to
>know which diet is best, and I'd like to be able to pick one and go with it
>and feel good that I'm doing the right thing.  But I'd hate to pick the
>Paleodiet and inadvertantly or purposely dismiss everything that does not
>support it.

Paul, buddy, you need to take a chill pill and get to know people a little
better.  The membership of this list is far more diverse in its points of
view than most nutrition-oriented lists I've seen, and we're far more open
to debate here than most places.  We all have different points of view and
different ideas.  We've argued over lots of different things and have spent
a good deal of time bandying about many different points of view.  No one
here is running away from evidence.  Many of us are former vegetarians
(including me), some are raw-foodists, some are Atkins-style dieters, some
are Zone dieters.  We've debated a number of different points and a many of
us are quite habitual in pointing out data contrary to what others are
saying, or even for our own opinions.  (For all that I'm convinced that
vegetarianism is an unnatural and unhealthy lifestyle, I've pointed out
repeatedly that there are people who appear to defy this statement, like
Jack LaLane.)

You really need to relax, go back and read the archives going back a few
weeks, and get to know people here a little better.  I think you'll find
that you feel a lot better if you do.  :-)  YOu will find that practically
anything anyone says will be subjected to debate here; some of us
reflexively do that even to things we agree with.  :-)