RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 08:29:11 -0700
From:
Lynton Blair <[log in to unmask]>:
>i noticed a suggestion to mix lemon juice with the green juice ...

Tom:
There are reasons to add a small amount of lime/lemon juice with the grass
juice (or most other green juices):

* the lemon/lime serves as an anti-oxidant, or in plain language, a
preservative, and helps PROTECT the nutrient content of the juice when you
refrigerate it.

* Ann Wigmore recommends using both rejuvelac and wheatgrass juice together
(one after the other, in which case they mix in the stomach). Ann Wigmore
never explained why the synergism exists, but I can offer an explanantion,
as follows.

Wheatgrass juice has all of the tastes but one; it is sweet, bitter, salty,
pungent, and astringent, but it lacks one: sour. Rejuvelac, or lemon/lime
juice provides the sour taste, giving one all the tastes. A number of real
holistic systems say you should eat all the tastes daily (Ayurveda, Tibetan
Medicine, Traditional Chinese medicine, and other systems). The different
tastes reflect different energies one should get in their food.

So, the synergism of rejuvelac/wheatgrass that Ann Wigmore writes about may
be due to the sour taste (which is missing in wheatgrass, hence "completes"
the taste requirements), which one can get from lemon/lime juice instead.
Also, lemon/lime juices are digestants, and increase absorption of the juice.

Lynton Blair <[log in to unmask]>:
>(1)   that citrus juice destroyed some part of the goodness of the juice.

Tom:
Discussed above.

Lynton Blair <[log in to unmask]>:
>(3)  it is ok to chew the grass instead of juicing.

Tom:
Yes, but one gets little juice that way, and it makes a lot of wear-and-tear
on the teeth grinding surfaces. You don't have the stomach, or teeth, of
a pure herbivore. You have the stomach and teeth of an omnivore (despite
vegan propaganda claims to the contrary).

Lynton Blair <[log in to unmask]>:
>MyOwn experience is that the juice (i much prefer barley juice than
>Wheat-grass juice) tastes a _wholeLot_ better if grown in high-quality
>"organic" soil in the sun, with say one-inch (25.4mm) spacing or so between
>seeds.  if grown outside, the plot requires protection from heavy rain,
>slugs and snails, dogs and cats, and whatever else that messes it up...
>local rules apply!!
>
>is it worth all the trouble? at present i am not a great gardener.  if i
>grow something, this stuff comes first cos i can buy most foods, but not
>barley-grass of the quality i usually grow :-))

Tom:
You have (re-)discovered what outdoor gardeners know, but the promoters of
growing long, green sprout indoors apparently do not know: that plants
grown outdoors, in sunlight, with sufficient spacing between them,
are the most "natural" and have the best energetic qualities. Growing plants
indoors (in soil), under artificial light, is second best, and growing them
indoors without soil (e.g., alfalfa sprouts) is a distant third.

Is it worth the trouble? I think so, but each person must decide for
themselves.

Regards,
Tom Billings